Sunday, August 30, 2009

Exercise and Arthritis/Joint Pain

I've come across many people over the years who live with arthritis that will not exercise because their pain is so bad.  I know how they feel as I have lived with Lupus for the past 11 years and it seems I live with joint pain.  When you hear arthritis you probably don't think of exercise.  However according to the Arthritis Foundation, not only is it ok for people with arthritis to exercise but it can also help your arthritis and decrease the amount of pain you live with.  Getting started in an exercise program can be scary for fear of the pain.  You should really start slow and start with a good flexibility program.  Once you are comfortable with this then you can move on to strength training and a cardio program such as bicycling or water activities.  It might be tough at first but if you stick with it you can significantly decrease your overall joint pain and stiffness along with giving you more energy and helping you sleep better.  I know how hard it is to get motivated when you are already in pain but I know from experience that when I don't exercise my pain gets much worse.  I use that as my motivation to get moving.  Finding a good personal trainer can help motivate you and help you stave off other disease such as heart disease and osteoporosis. Good luck and Good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment